Happy New Comics Wednesday! Here are the comics that I’ll be getting from this week, plus a look at the August Previews!
New Comics this week
I can’t believe how few comics I’m actually getting this week. It’s very weird. How did this happen?
- BACK ISSUE #75
- BATMAN AND ROBIN #34
- BATMAN ETERNAL #20
- DAREDEVIL #7
- FADE OUT #1: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Brubaker and Phillips are names that scream “Take my money!”
- INFINITY MAN AND THE FOREVER PEOPLE #3
- MIGHTY AVENGERS #13
- MULTIVERSITY #1: My pick of the week. I cannot wait to dive into this new Morrisonian world.
- NEW 52 FUTURES END #16
- NEW AVENGERS #23
- SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN #1: If not for Multiversity, this would be my pick of the week. These out-of-continuity, digital firsts titles have been so good, so I expect nothing less with Wonder Woman’s entry.
- TRANSLUCID #5
- UNWRITTEN VOL 2 APOCALYPSE #8
- WICKED & DIVINE #3
Go here for a complete list of comics releasing this week.
Here are some thoughts about this month’s Previews catalog.
- I remember listening to the Comic Geek Speak gang talk about Athena Voltaire back in the day (2006 or 2007?), and now I get to read this compendium. I expect a cool action/adventure period piece.
- If you missed this series when it was under the DC banner, I urge you to try The Mighty by Peter Tomasi, Keith Champagne, Chris Samnee, and Peter Snejberg. It was such an odd title when it was first published–it was 12 issues featuring all-new characters, and the “superhero” isn’t what he appears. It ended in a way that allowed for more set in this universe, and Dark Horse Presents will be giving us more very soon.
- The next weekly comic arrives in Earth 2: World’s End. I’ve been enjoying Earth 2 since it began (with the exception of the “bad” Superman storyline), so having more set in that world is ok by me. I’m also really curious how this ties into New 52: Future’s End.
- There are six new titles debuting: Arkham Manor, Gotham Academy, Deathstroke, Klarion, Lobo, and Trinity of Sin. I have no interest in reading any of them (so far), but I find it curious that we haven’t been given the Trinity title featuring all three of the Trinity before now.
- Just when I thought I was out, Justice League United pulls me back in with the Annual that features the Legion of Super-Heroes!
- While the FANTASTIC Azzarello run on Wonder Woman ends with issues #35, a new arc begins in Batman (“Endgame”).
- Also, the much ballyhooed change in direction in Batgirl starts with #35. I’ll be getting two copies: one for me and one for my granddaughter who loves Batgirl.
- The next Gallery Edition from DC is Frank Miller’s Ronin. I just ordered the deluxe edition hard cover, but I’m really tempted to get this as well.
- The next Marvel “event” is Axis (I actually read the logo as “Sixis”)–will you bite?
- Falcon dons the Captain America duds as the new Cap in #25. I only hope this lasts a while.
- To capitalize on the success of the Guardians of the Galaxy film (maybe? I don’t know), we’re getting another original Guardians title in Guardians 3000. I am very tempted to get this because these characters are my Guardians.
- Not to be outdone by a black Captain America, Thor is now a woman. Given that the title is still being written by Jason Aaron, I am expecting that the great storytelling will continue and don’t really care about the titular character’s gender switch.
- Based on the preview pages in Previews, I passed on Snyder’s Wytches, but will wait and see if there’s any buzz around the title and may pick up the trades.
- I ordered, as I always do, the CBLDF Liberty Annual. You should too.
- Matt Fraction’s Casanova vol. 1 lands at Image. I know this title is hugely popular with some, but I couldn’t get into it.
- A title that I did like is C.O.W.L., and now I can read the first volume (I bought the first two issues, but decided I wanted to read this in trades).
- IDW has a bunch of interesting things:
- Edward Scissorhands: What?! That movie is how old? You really want to read more about this character?
- The final Locke and Key volume arrives. One day I will read more than the just the first trade.
- The October Faction is not only a really cool title, but appears to be an interesting premise. I added this to my order at the last second.
- Not to be outdone by Image, IDW is publishing Hero Comics 2014, which benefits the Hero Initiative. You should also buy this.
- If you’ve waiting for a trade of John Byrne’s Star Trek: New Visions comics, now you get the first three installments of the series. I highly recommend this if you’re a Star Trek fan.
- I really, really wanted to buy the In Search of Lost Dragons hardcover, because, you know, dragons, but I had to cut some things from my order this month. Sigh.
- Also passed over because my order was too damn much were the Will Eisner art books: Comics and Sequential Art, Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative, and Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative. And I’m not an artist!
- Finally, I wanted to get thismerch: