Happy New Comics Wednesday! Here are the comics that I’ll be getting from this week, plus Previews!
New Comics this week (covers here)
- ACTION COMICS #31
- ALL-NEW X-MEN #27
- AVENGERS #29
- BATMAN ETERNAL #6: I’m really digging this weekly series so far.
- DC COMICS PRESENTS THE DEMON: DRIVEN OUT #1
- FANTASTIC FOUR #4
- GOD IS DEAD TP VOL 01: I’m looking forward to this concept from Jonathan Hickman and company.
- JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #1
- MANIFEST DESTINY TP VOL 01: Another high concept that’s intriguing.
- NEW 52 FUTURES END #2
- NEW AVENGERS #18
- ROYALS: MASTERS OF WAR #4
- STAR TREK NEW VISIONS #1 MIRROR CRACKED: Pick of the week. I had so much fun reading John Byrne’s previous photocomic that I am very glad that he and IDW decided to continue the format.
- SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #8
- WORLDS FINEST #23
Also, there’s HELLBOY IN HELL #6, starting the series again after a break (but I won’t be rejoining the series), and more important, pick up the first COFFIN HILL: FOREST OF THE NIGHT tpb.
Go here for a complete list of comics releasing this week.
Here are some new comics that I’ve preordered from this month’s Previews catalog.
- Gail Simone’s, Jim Calafiore’s, and Jason Wright’s Kickstarter project, Leaving Megalopolis, is coming. Do I get this in HC or wait for the TPB? DCBS really makes it easy to buy the hard covers though….
- Also in the should I or shouldn’t I order this category is Art and Franco’s Aw Yeah Comics!™ And . . . Action! tpb. I’m pretty sure my girls would love to read this (and I would too).
- Originally a digital offering, the interstitial story between the ending of the first Mark Waid Daredevil volume and the beginning of the second volume is being collected and printed as Daredevil #0.1.
- We haven’t been able to read the end of Forever Evil (it’s available 5/21/14), but we already know that Dick Grayson survives and he now carries a gun as an agent of SPYRAL. Huh? It’s not like Dick has the hangup about guns that Batman now has, but it looks really weird to me to see Dick using a gun. Of course, I wonder how long this will last, but it is a different take on this character based just on the advanced press about it. It doesn’t hurt that Tim Seeley is attached as writer.
- I find it interesting that we’re getting Robin Rises: Omega as a one-shot. Why not put it into the Batman and … title?
- The penultimate issue of Superman Unchained (#8) is finally on its way.
- DC is really pushing it this month with all the Futures End one shots–essentially, they are double shipping all their books, plus some. Take that Marvel! ;-) So, this is yet another of DC’s annual September events, and we’re also getting the return of the 3D covers, which I will NOT be buying.
- There’s another DC Comics Presents collection featuring some reprints from the Batman Adventures comics. I get every one of these because I love getting those older stories that I missed out on for pretty cheap.
- I’ll be buying the Vertigo mini-series Bodies by Si Spencer, Dean Ormston, Phil Winslade, Meghan Hetrick, and Tula Lotay. The time-spanning murder mystery premise and the use of multiple artists have me intrigued.
- Hooray! Sandman Overture is back! I just hope Mr. Gaiman can keep the rest of it on track.
- Finally, the second Vertigo color quarterly, Magenta, is coming. I have the first one in my reading pile, and I am looking forward to it.
- IDW is publishing Ben Templesmith’s The Squidder. Supposedly, Templesmith quit Ten Grand to concentrate on this, and I’m so looking forward to reading this.
- I’ll be waiting for the trade of Walt Simonson’s Ragnarök (IDW) for sure.
- I am really really tempted to get the 2nd printing of the Dreadstar Omnibus from Dynamite. I got the six-issue Marvel run back in the 80s, loved it, and I’ve always wanted to read more.