Happy New Comics Wednesday! Here are the comics that I’ll be getting from this week, a few recommendations(ish), along with some recent news bits.
New Comics from this week
- ACTION COMICS #28
- DC COMICS PRESENTS: HARLEY QUINN #1: I love those DC Comics Presents square-bound books, and this month features a character of whom I have not read that much. My exposure to Harley Quinn has mostly been through the animated shows.
- EARTH 2 #20
- FAIREST #23
- FOREVER EVIL #5
- GREEN LANTERN/RED LANTERNS #28: The interesting, let’s see if this idea flies combo/flip book arrives.
- DRUMHELLAR #4
- LAZARUS #6: After having just talked about this series with Peter Rios on Episode 62 of the podcast, I cannot wait to read this issue.
- ALL-NEW INVADERS #2
- BLACK WIDOW #3
- LOKI, AGENT OF ASGARD #1: I’m looking forward to trying this book out. My only complaint so far has been them making Loki look like Tom Hiddleston–I hate when comic companies do that.
- MIGHTY AVENGERS #6
- NEW AVENGERS #14
- ARCHER & ARMSTRONG ARCHER #0.2014: Interesting numbering. I don’t see why we need a zero issue. Ever. (Still, a great comic, and you should be reading this one.)
- MYSTERIOUS STRANGERS: STRANGE WAYS TP VOL 01: Ok, my gaming buddy Lee talked this book up a while back, so I ordered this trade. Now to see if it lives up to the hype.
Go here for a complete list of comics releasing this week.
- MANIFEST DESTINY #1 gets a 3rd printing. Podcast cohost Travis likes this book, and obviously some more of you out there do to. I guess I’ll pick up the inevitable trade.
- SEX CRIMINALS #1 gets a 5th printing. Good thing I preordered the first trade volume.
- SIXTH GUN: GHOST DANCE TP VOL 06: This volume collects issues #30-35 of this great fantasy western. If you haven’t given Sixth Gun a chance, you must go back and read this from the beginning. Podcast cohost Travis guarantees that you will like it or you get your money back*.
* You know that’s hyperbole, right? Don’t go trying to collect money from him–he can be downright mean! ;)
- The newest animated movie from DC Entertainment was released yesterday–did you buy Justice League: War? It’s based on the first New 52 Justice League story (called “Origins” in the trade format), which I enjoyed immensely. Will I enjoy this as much? I don’t know. A while back, I mused that I was worried that DC will simply start adapting the stories from the New 52–and that appears to be the case–thus ignoring the rich universe of stories from the last 75ish years. I guess we’ll see.
- Speaking of DC, it was also announced recently that Jesse Eisenberg will be playing Lex Luthor in the Man of Steel sequel. Also, Jeremy Irons is the new Alfred. I have to admit, my eyebrow went up when I saw Eisenberg’s name, but you know what? I love it when storytellers who are adapting existing works/characters play it differently–as long as it works. But I still appreciate the effort.
- DC also released news that Geoff Johns will be taking over Superman this summer, with artist John Romita, Jr. While I am not the biggest JRjr fan, I’m intrigued as to why Mr. Romita has departed his Marvel exclusivity, and more importantly, will his current art style work with the Man of Steel? I’m hopeful.
- Finally, Marvel is causing some waves when it was revealed that the company is PGifying its digital version of the Miracleman reprints. So far, it’s only purple panties, but what about the much more graphic images coming up? Regardless, I’m anxiously awaiting the trade for this series.